Endicia's electronic postage solutions make it more manageable and affordable to ship and mail through U.S. Postal Service®. Our solutions have helped thousands of large and small businesses print more than $9 billion in postage. Visit us at www.endicia.com for more information.
Located near California Avenue in Palo Alto, California, Endicia offers challenging and rewarding careers in an easygoing environment. Endicia culture encourages self-sufficient, innovative and independent problem-solvers. We employ an outstanding mix of people with diverse skills and backgrounds. We work hard to accomplish our projects, but know how to have fun. Whether it's participating in table tennis tournaments or Thanksgiving feasts, you'll always feel inspired at Endicia.
Newell Rubbermaid is a global marketer of consumer and commercial products that touch the lives of people where they live, work and play. We are committed to building consumer and commercial Brands That MatterTM while leveraging the benefits of being one company: shared expertise, operating efficiencies, and a culture of innovation. Our globally recognized brands include Sharpie, Paper Mate, DYMO, EXPO, Waterman, Parker, Rolodex, IRWIN, LENOX, Rubbermaid, Graco, Calphalon, Goody and Teutonia.
This is an exciting opportunity for you to work in our R&D organization to help us architect, design, and develop next generation web services, platform applications, and core server side system infrastructure that support shipping and mailing solutions that are developed in partnership with the USPS and other international postal carriers. You will have a chance to work with a very talented team to make your mark on Endicia’s critical system infrastructure built with Microsoft technology that is used by hundreds of thousands of customers and that processes millions of transactions daily. If you enjoy working on technology architectures, design, implementation, and performance issues tied to a rapidly growing company like ours, then this role is for you. If you want the fun (ping pong is played regularly and Friday lunches are entertaining,) flexibility, excitement, and career growth opportunities of working in a growing start-up type environment led by a seasoned and talented leadership team but also the financial stability and backing of a Fortune 500 public company, then this is a place for you.
Direct Reports: This is a non-supervisory position.
Job Description - Essential Duties
· Primary responsibility is implementing enterprise-level system architecture, designs, and working with one or more development teams to realize future product architecture. While this is an Individual Contributor position, there is expectation that the Principal Software Engineer play a technical leadership and mentoring role in the organization.
- Utilize novel approaches to solve complex technical problems and apply advanced technical principles, theories and concepts to develop innovative products
· Responsibilities include researching, analyzing, and designing, proposing, and delivering solutions that are appropriate for the business and technology strategies.
· Help design complex systems at the component and framework level, make strategic technology choices, and directly supervise the quality of designs and implementation of the overall platform, implementation and orchestration of components
· Additional responsibilities may include identification of major system interfaces and development of module reuse on an enterprise-wide scale.
· Segment and design system layers to support componentized and layered application development, including user interface, business functionality and database access.
· The Principal Software Engineer is involved in all aspects of the project life cycle, from the initial kickoff through the requirements analysis, design and implementation.
- Ensure software requirements specifications and detailed design documents are produced for subsystems, must be consistent with architectural constraints and software development processes
· Work with other Engineers, Managers, Product Management, QA and Operations teams to develop innovative solutions that meet market needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic implementation schedules and adherence to development goals and principles.
- Manage, prioritize and execute multiple concurrent high visibility software development project activities
· Research technical and business requirements to insure compliance with postal rules
· Principal Engineer must be a hands-on self-starter, work independently or as a team member, and have strong communication skills in interfacing with business partners and the Postal community. He or she is also responsible for communicating to others on technical standards, principles, methodology and trends.
· Estimate engineering effort, plan implementation and rollout system changes.
· Independently design, code and test major features as well as work jointly with other team members to deliver complex changes.
· Mentor and coach other software engineers and leads
· Collaborate, have fun, and make a difference.
· Significant experience in architecting, designing, and developing high performance, high volume scalable, online e-commerce related server/web-based SW products and services
· Strong expertise and experience in architecting and designing highly available, reliable, and scalable Web based applications using Micro soft Windows (.Net/C#/MS SQL Server/IIS) technologies including Server-side design and development. The principal Software Engineer must have significant business knowledge and technical expertise in application design and architecture, as well as knowledge of related domains of technical architectures (network, security, and infrastructure engineering), information architectures, and data architectures. This is a MUST have.
· Strong server side architecture, design, development experience on Windows platform
· Strong object-oriented programming and design interest with a pragmatic approach
· 12+ years of Experience using C# /.NET, java or C++
· 12+ years of Experience using MS SQL Server or comparable database
· 12+ years of Experience developing Web Services (WSDL, SOAP) and REST
- Have experience with ASP.NET MVC framework.
- Proficient in Microsoft SQL Server or other Databases as well as T-SQL or other SQL languages
· Must be detail oriented and have superior problem-solving skills.
· Must have excellent communication and presentation skills
· Keen interest in latest MS-based software development and technology
· BS in Computer Science/Engineering or related field and 12 or more years of relevant experience, preferably from a reputed University; MS or higher degrees preferred
· Shipping, mailing, or e-commerce industry experience is a plus