Newell Rubbermaid is a global marketer of consumer and professional products that touch the lives of people where they live, learn and work. We are committed to building brands that matter in the lives of the users of our products. We are also committed to leveraging the scale of our company to bring the power of a multi-billion dollar business to bear on each of the business segments through shared expertise, operating efficiencies, and a culture of innovation. Our global sales are approximately $6 billion and we have a strong portfolio of globally recognized brands including Sharpie, Paper Mate, DYMO, EXPO, Waterman, Parker, IRWIN, LENOX, Rubbermaid, Graco, Calphalon, Goody, Levolor, Kirsch and Teutonia. We are headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia.
This position is a part of an engineering team responsible for new product development (NPD) and sustaining product engineering for the Beauty Global Business Unit (GBU) for the Goody hair care brand. Primary responsibilities include design and development of new products through a Stage-Gate process. This is a key engineering role for driving sales and profitability growth for the category and overview business. The position reports to the Senior Manager of R&D.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Lead design engineer in developing new products specifications from industrial design concepts using computer-aided design (preferably Pro-E). Product specification includes final engineering models/drawings, bill of materials, material specification, finish/color specification, performance specification (DVP&R) and aesthetic/ quality specification.
· Use DFSS tools to ensure new products meet fit, function (performance), and quality requirement within cost and timing objectives. This includes leading QFD, design for manufacturability, DFMEA, statistical stack-up analysis, DVP&R, and gage R&R as well as supporting PFMEA, Control Plans, DOE and PPAP.
· Lead development and evaluation of finite element models for manufacturing and structural analysis.
· Lead design engineer optimizing product designs for mechanical function (e.g., fit, function, interference, tolerance stack ups, nesting, etc), manufacturability, packaging and material handling.
· Generate product prototypes and perform product testing for internal evaluation as well as for customer and consumer testing/feedback.
· Develop and evaluate cost analysis for new and modified product concepts from design through production launch to maximize product value and competitiveness.
· Organize and lead DOE trials at the suppliers and at plants including working with plants to establish manufacturing procedures.
· Implement new products from PPAP through first production run (launch) including statistical sampling and analysis of dimensions, fit, function, and performance as well as identifying and transitioning technical issues.
· Lead design engineer in cross-functional team to identify and correct cost of failure issues and address productivity initiatives.
· Lead design engineer in providing technical support in solving product quality problems with existing products.
· Lead design engineer in technical and financial evaluation of competitive product.
· Interface and collaboration with cross functional team including Marketing, Industrial Design, Engineering, Sourcing, Manufacturing, Quality and Finance.
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum of 8 years of product development experience.
- Proven track record of creativity and innovation.
- Extensive experience with DFSS.
- Demonstrated experience of participating in a cross functional project environment and independently.
- Exceptional organizational skills, aggressive drive for performance, and extremely high levels of personal accountability are required.
- Experience with plastic and metal materials, processing, fabricating is strongly desired.
- Expertise in CAD systems preferably Pro-E as well as FEA (structural &/or mold flow).
- Evidence of taking initiative on projects.
- Evidence of strong problem solving skills including identify problems, potential problems, and developing solutions.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, writing, planning, and presentation skills.
- Experience in working with suppliers/partners on new technologies.
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Consumer Products Industry experience.
- Participate in consumer research through focus groups and interviews to determine consumer needs.
- Flexibility to travel with business needs to work with domestic and international partners.
Newell Rubbermaid and its Business Units are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.